Sunday, 28 June 2009

Iran



Lately I have been thinking a lot about the situation in Iran.

This morning on the news it informed us that 8 Iranian staff of the British Embassy in Tehran have been arrested for 'provoking unrest' after the elections.

Of course, Ayatollah Khomeini thinks that Britain is the most 'evil' of the 'hungry wolves' circling Iran.

Access to websites, television and newspapers has all been restricted - more so than usual.

17 protesters have been killed. So they could vote in a fair and free election.

The last time I could vote, I didn't even bother to do so. For the first time since turning 18, I decided I wouldn't vote because I was so disillusioned with British politics and all the expense fiddling going on.

And the BNP got in.

The BNP, for those not in the know, are the most racist, disgusting political party in Britain. And they now have a seat in the European parliament where they will represent me.

Situations like the one in Iran always make me appreciate the fact that I live in a stable democracy - admittedly one which has been involved in or caused most of the messes currently going on in the world - Israel, Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq and Zimbabwe to name a few.

I am going to wear green this week, I think, to show my solidarity with Iran. It won't change the world, people probably won't even notice and the more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems.

But I'm gonna do it anyway. So nerr.

3 comments:

Val said...

Yes, you made a great point, and I love it...while I may not agree with the politics of Iran's leaders, I do agree that everyone has a right to vote, and to squelch it is extremely, well, uncool! Wear your green, girl! Do you have a certain day to wear it, I could do the whole solidarity rock the vote thing here in Wisconsin!

Jess said...

I realised after I said it that I only own 2 green items. One of which is a Wicked shirt - which I couldn't get away with wearing in work.

So I wore a greem, white and black flowery top today with a green necklace.

I really should think things through before committing to wardrobe related protests - if I ever need to wear black though, I'm covered!

Jess said...

And by greem, I mean green.

I am an idiot today.

My head is mashed. Boo.