Wednesday, 18 March 2009

100 Suspicious Books ...


So you have all probably seen this list of books you should have read, apparently from the BBC. The blurb also says that the average person will have only read 6 books on the list.

Not as shocking as it sounds. There was a documentary I watched which was about modern Britain and it stated that there were more households with 2 cars than with 2 novels. I usually have more than 2 novels about my person. What is wrong with people?

I have some issues with this list: some of the titles were misspelled, why is The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe on when the entire Chronicles are already mentioned? Same with Hamlet and the Complete Works. And Dan Brown? Bitch, please.

And the BBC has no mention of this list on its website. But it is an excuse to talk books, so I'll humour it. I am going to highlight the ones I have read. Then we can compare our bookworminess. Yay!

1. Pride & Prejudice – Jane Austen
2. The Lord Of The Rings – JRR Tolkien
3. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte [My favourite book in the world ever]
4. Harry Potter – JK Rowling [I can't even bring myself to criticise these books]
5. To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee [I have read this book so many times]
6. The Bible
7. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte [Heathcliff, It's me, I'm Cathy, I've come home now. Kate Bush gratuitousness]
8. Nineteen Eighty Four – George Orwell
9. His Dark Materials – Phillip Pullman [Seeing the stage version of this in April - very intrigued as to how they are going to stage it]
10. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens [Forced by mother to read this as a child]
11. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
12. Tess Of The D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy
13. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller [My dad's favourite ever book. I really didn't like it and took about 5 attempts to finally finish it. Not funny, either]
14. Complete Works Of Shakespeare
15. Rebecca – Daphne DuMaurier [On my to read pile]
16. The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien
17. Birdsong – Sebastian Faulks
18. The Catcher In The Rye – JD Salinger
19. The Time Traveller’s Wife – Audrey Niffeneger
20. Middlemarch – George Eliot
21. Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell
22. The Great Gatsby – F Scott Fitzgerald
23. Bleak House – Charles Dickens
24. War & Peace – Leo Tolstoy [Has anyone ever read this?]
25. The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy – Douglas Adams [42]
26. Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh
27. Crime & Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky [Hated this book. Found it a very difficult read]
28. The Grapes Of Wrath – John Steinbeck [Loved this book, which surprised me because I was indifferent to Of Mice & Men]
29. Alice In Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
30. The Wind In The Willows – Kenneth Grahame
31. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
32. David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
33. The Chronicles Of Narnia – CS Lewis [Classic childhood book. Didn't pick up on the fact that Aslan is supposed to be Jesus until I was about 22!]
34. Emma – Jane Austen
35. Persuasion – Jane Austen
36. The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe – CS Lewis
37. The Kite Runner – Khaled Hossini
38. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis de Bernieres [Thought this book was total garbage]
39. Memoirs Of A Geisha – Arthur Golden [Love this book - am constantly pimping it to people]
40. Winnie The Pooh – AA Milne
41. Animal Farm – George Orwell
42. The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown [Yes, I've read it. That doesn't mean that I think it SHOULD be read!]
43. One Hundred Years Of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez [On my to read pile]
44. A Prayer For Owen Meany – John Irving
45. The Woman In White – Wilkie Collins
46. Anne Of Green Gables – LM Montgomery [♥]
47. Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
48. The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
49. The Lord Of The Flies – William Golding
50. Atonement – Ian McEwan [Didn't like the book, loved the film. Reverse logic]
51. The Life Of Pi – Yann Martel
52. Dune – Frank Herbert
53. Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
54. Sense & Sensibility – Jane Austen
55. A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth
56. The Shadow Of The Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon [On my to read pile]
57. A Tale Of Two Cities – Thomas Hardy
58. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
59. The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time – Mark Haddon [HATE, HATE, HATE this book. I will concede it is fairly novel, but fucking hell it is annoying and boring]
60. Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez [On my to read pile]
61. Of Mice & Men – John Steinbeck
62. Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov [This was pervier than I thought it would be]
63. The Secret History – Donna Tartt [On my to read pile]
64. The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold [I cried reading parts of this. But then read the ending and wished I could take back the tears. Lost the plot entirely]
65. The Count Of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
66. On The Road – Jack Kerouac
67. Jude The Obscure – Thomas Hardy
68. Bridget Jones’ Diary – Helen Fielding
69. Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
70. Moby Dick – Herman Melville
71. Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
72. Dracula – Bram Stoker
73. The Secret Garden – France Hodgson Burnett
74. Notes From A Small Island – Bill Bryson [I am an unabashed Bryson fan]
75. Ulysses – James Joyce
76. The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath [Read when I was 15 and fairly emo]
77. Swallows & Amazons – Arthur Ransome [Made me want to live on a boat as a child]
78. Germinal – Emile Zola
79. Vanity Fair – William Thackeray
80. Possession – AS Byatt
81. A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
82. Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
83. The Color Purple – Alice Walker
84. The Remains Of The Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
85. Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
86. A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry
87. Charlotte’s Web – EB White
88. The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Alborn [Sounds too much like a self help book for my liking. Or like it could have been written by Blake Morrison]
89. The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes – Arthur Conan Doyle [I love Sherlock Holmes. Have been trying to convince C to read them all. Don't think she's convinced!]
90. The Faraway Tree Collection – Enid Blyton [If Enid Blyton wrote it, I read it as a child. Secret Seven, Famous Five, Mallory Towers, St Clare's, I read them all]
91. Heart Of Darkness – Joseph Conrad [Hated this. And how they got Apocalypse Now from this I cannot fathom]
92. The Little Prince – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
93. The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks
94. Watership Down – Richard Adams [The animated version of this scarred me for life as a kid]
95. A Confederacy Of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
96. A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute
97. The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas [Am considering reading this after watching Slumdog Millionaire]
98. Hamlet – William Shakespeare [Alas, poor Yorrick. I knew him, HORATIO]
99. Charlie & The Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
100. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo

So I have read 55.

6 comments:

Phina said...

61!!! Yay me! I'm all cultured, innit

Phina said...

Also: I think I should get a bonus point for having not only read Lord of the Rings, but reading the entire appendices AND The Silmarillion. I am a huge nerd.

Also Also: How the ruddy hell is Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides not on there but Dan Brown is? Slander.

Jessclub7 said...

Middlesex was on an alternative list which I saw.

I am outraged that The Good German is not on there.

I think I should get many bonus points for having read the bloody Tom Bombadil bit.

(One of the above statements is a lie. And it is not the first or the last)

Jessclub7 said...

I feel that culture, innit has slipped lately Phina.

Though mozzarella dippers last night def = culture. Foreign cheese, innit.

Blake said...

I just finished a re-read of Mockingbird on Monday. And I usually finish 2-3 days each week with a short Sherlock story in bed. I know, I'm a total loser.

And you, my dear, need a Kindle. Views on that device?

Jessclub7 said...

Oh Blake, I ♥ the Mockingbook.

I have read every Sherlock story ever written so I can totally relate.

I don't like the idea of the Kindle. I like having a physical book to read and carry around and drop without costing me hundreds of pounds!

I can't explain but there is something about books which makes me way more attached to them than the other 'stuff' that I own. I'm not crying over the fact that the tape deck is now obsolete, for example!

And you, sir, need to come and stay with us! Get on it!