Friday, 30 January 2009

Things I Really LOVE, But Should Know Better

1. The Twilight Saga

I know that I should be extremely dismissive of pretty much everything to do with Twilight.

I am not a 12 year old girl.
I am not an emo.
I don't believe in vampires.
I don't believe in werewolves.
I have a degree. And a postgrad degree. One of them from an actual university.
Hell, I have English Literature A Level.
I don't appreciate Mormon propaganda.
I HATE the last book with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Yet something about these books has wormed its way into my brain and is slowly, ebola style, eating away at my mind. I cannot stop thinking about them. I dream about them. I attempted to find a book shop in Las Vegas. Las Vegas, I tells ya! I made a detour in Madison, Wisconsin to buy books two and three. I walked ten, fucking TEN!, blocks in New York City to buy Breaking Dawn (with hindsight I really shouldn't have bothered). I have seen the film 3 times in cinemas. I have even made some Edward Cullen fridge art.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

5 comments:

mer said...

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

I can't tell you how much I agree.

The Twilight Saga is what I generally refer to as 'modern crap fiction'. Then again, I shouldn't talk: my stuff isn't exactly literature for the ages. And I haven't been published. (Yet :P)

Yet, I still feel as though I should know better.

Jessclub7 said...

Tell me about it!

I have a thing with one of my friends where we are trying to become more cultured (this is mainly manifested by me trying to force myself to drink red wine) by watching pretentious plays, subtitled films etc. These books go totally against everything I want to believe myself to be!

We are both obsessed with the books and we have even corrupted most of our friends and family too.

I have also just remembered that only yesterday I bought 'The Host' also by Stephenie Meyer. I am even willing to overlook the unconventional spelling of Stephanie - one of my many pet hates. I am that addled by these books I am actively seeking out 'Other works by the same author'.

I need to take a Crying Game style shower.

OhJohio said...

If you read Twilight while listening to both the film's soundtrack and the Meyer's playlist, does that make you 42% more cultured? Discuss.

mer said...

screw culture, i drink red wine because it's yummy

Gaz said...

I haven't been 'turned' to this culture, despite the 3 of them trying their level best the other night. A 2 hour propaganda session! Got my own back with some chocolate though.